Launched today, Friday, April 24, 2020, a new charity single project COVIDAID Ireland, will raise monies going towards the Age Action and Irish Red Cross Hardship Fund. ‘On Horseback’ is now available on iTunes, Google Play and all digital platforms to buy for €1.29.
Age Action and Irish Red Cross have welcomed RTÉ correspondent Fergal Bowers’ COVAID Ireland initiative as a huge boost to their Hardship Fund. Reporting an overwhelming level of interest in the fund, they said the fund would otherwise struggle to meet the level of need being expressed without the monies raised from the COVIDAID Ireland single.
Never have the Irish people been so generous to those in need and it is sincerely hoped the single will help raise much-needed funds. The Fund was put in place to help older, vulnerable people who had been experiencing additional financial burden due to the Covid-19 crisis. The fund really needs help in spreading the word, as they need to raise €250,000 just to meet the current demand. Further details on the COVIDAID Ireland project can be found on https://covidaidireland.ie/
The project has been put together by journalist Fergal Bowers along with producer Gary Grant. It was recorded remotely and using social distancing.
- The track is a reimagined version of a Mike Oldfield song.
- Fergal Bowers voices the spoken word part of the track and recorded his audio which was then sent to Gary
- Gary is based in Toronto and put the track together only working with the singers and musicians remotely
- The children’s choir all had their parents record their part on phones, the audio was then sent to Gary to put together
- Kerry singer Gemma Goodey and guitarist Kyle Tyther also recorded their parts in Dingle
The main sponsor for the project is Uniflu. In sponsoring the COVIDAID IRELAND project, Uniflu have covered all the project costs thus enabling all funds generated from the download of the song to go directly to the Hardship Fund.